Long before the Europeans showed up two Native American tribes the Eno and the Occaneechi lived and farmed the Durham area.
It was not until the early 1700s when John Lawson called the area “the flow of the Carolinas.” From here the area was settled by English colonists.
The Tobacco Mills that popup during the 1800s survived the Civil War, but it was the post war celebration with both Yankee and Rebel troops celebrating together and discovering Brighleaf tobacco which led to the ultimate success of Washington Duke.
In 1892 Trinity College moved to Durham with Washington Duke and Julian Carr donated money and land and Trinity Colledge was renamed Duke University in 1924.
Read more Durham history from The Museum of Durham.